Wednesday 30 January 2013

Shoes - A girl's best friend


“Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” ― Marilyn Monroe

I can be wearing anything at all..it could be the most boring, dull outfit...but as soon as I put on the right pair of shoes, I become Cinderella. Like magic. There isn't one pair of shoes in my wardrobe that don't work that magic.

Shoes make the outfit. They dress it up or down, a great pair of shoes gives you an untouchable attitude and a fabulous boost in confidence. A lady is defined by the shoes she wears! So I say live in them, treasure them, have plenty of them, and wear them high.

There’s definitely something to the idea that shoes are likely to fit and look amazing no matter how much weight you’ve lost or how bloated you feel, no matter how tired or crabby or upset you are. Shoes are a constant within outfits. They’re reliable. If they look great at 6 a.m., they’ll still look great at 9 p.m. unless an unseen muddy puddle appears.

But it occurred to me recently that shoes are also connected to ideas of travel, movement, and agility. We walk on them, rely on them to protect us from the streets and the weather, and our movements are helped or decided by them. This lends them a considerable amount of power within our daily lives.

Yet they are somehow also filled with power themselves. They influence our stance, posture, and overall physical appearance. They make us feel taller, steadier, faster, more lady like and capable of great things. Shoes are powerful.

And because of all that our shoes do for us we form an emotional attachment to them.
I don’t have an emotional attachment to ALL my shoes. I don’t care one bit about running shoes, for example, other than that they keep my feet and knees happy when I’m running. Trainers are like equipment they are necessary, but I’m not making a style statement with them. The same is true for my ski boots, astro shoes and snow boots. And I have several pairs of shoes that are not gear, exactly, but I’m not in love with them.

So which shoes/boots am I in love with, and why? 
It’s the ones that make my style me , that’s my gold Hi  Tops or high heeled flip flops. I think the attachment is so emotional because shoes can make me *feel* a certain way more than any other item of clothing.

 I tie up my red studded Hi tops and immediately feel tough and badass. When I walk in my high heels, head up, shoulders back and stomach in, I feel womanly, sophisticated and even powerful. I feel young and carefree in my cute ballet pumps. Shoes have this amazing power to transform your look as well as your attitude!



No comments:

Post a Comment